It’s time for those who enjoy making (and usually breaking) New Year resolutions to get busy with their wish lists. Did you know that writing down your resolutions gives you a much better chance of sticking with them?
Dr Gail Matthews, a psychology professor at Dominican University in California, did a study on goal setting with 267 participants. She discovered you are 42% more likely to achieve your goals just by writing them down.
So, if you want to make some positive changes to your home in 2023, you might (or might not, it’s up to you) consider writing these seven ideas down.
- Kitchen – Clean out the kitchen cupboards of all that out-of-date food and items you’ll never use.
- Hallway – Organise your coats and shoes by investing in racks to store/hang them.
- Storage – Maximise your storage by having a little stock check and only having one of each cleaning item.
- Laundry – Use cotton laundry bags rather than laundry bins. They are often easier on the eye and more hygienic as you can wash them.
- Cleaning – Make cleaning chores a little easier by having a simple cleaning kit: cloths, polish, etc., in each part of the home, especially bathrooms, toilets and kitchens.
- Post – Keep up with any bills or letters that get to you via your postie. A simple designated area or rack can sort this.
- General – We’ve all got a lot of ‘stuff’ nowadays but storing like with like can make our lives a lot easier. So, keep Christmas decorations labelled and stored together, group similar toys and games and have areas/storage set aside for seasonal outfits.
We were going to resolve to get teenagers to keep their rooms tidy, but that’s perhaps an over-ambitious New Year change for anyone.
Wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2023.